Questions 20

How do you start treating HIV? What is the first step? Please give me a list of HIV treatment centres in Mumbai. For how many years do people live after treatment? And what are the side effects?Visit ICTC Centres at major hospitals such as JJ, GT, KEM, etc. They will educate you and provide treatment. Even without medicine, just with a healthy life-style, a person can live a lifetime — at least 10 or 15 years. With medication, you can live even longer.

I am 32 years old and my wife is 28. Is oral sex safe? My wife has never shown any interest in it. Whenever I talk about it, she feels disgusted and says nobody but a w**** would do that sort of a thing. I am confused. Is oral sex common in Indian lifestyle? Because of this, I feel that my wife doesn’t like me.A lot of people think along the same lines because of centuries of wrong beliefs, like menstruation is poisonous, dirty, etc. Now modern research indicates that our private areas are cleaner than other parts of the body. So oral sex is harmless, but the bottom line is that it must be done with the permission of both partners.


I am a 30-year-old married man. I enjoy a healthy sex life with my wife. To delay my ejaculation, I apply ‘Xylocaine gel 2%’ on my penis before intercourse. As Xylocaine lessens the sensitivity of the penis, I can enjoy sex for a longer period of time. But I want to know whether frequent use of Xylocaine can have any adverse effect on my penis. Please advise.With limited amount and occasional use, there will be no side effects.

I am 18 years old. I enjoy sexual intercourse with my boyfriend. For the past three months I have been having unprotected sex with him. But I have immediately consumed an I-pill every time after intercourse. I am worried whether consuming I-pill at regular intervals can have an adverse effect on my health. Will it cause a problem in conceiving a child in the future?
Having reached the age of maturity, you are expected to understand that unprotected sex can lead to pregnancy or a possible sexually transmitted disease, including HIV/AIDS. I-pill contains high dose of a hormone. Its misuse can cause disturbance of menstruation cycle. By the way, I-pill is not always hundred per cent successful. It is not too late for him to use a condom. You must learn to say no if he does not.

I am a 24-year-old married woman and my husband is 27. We got married in May 2010. The problem is that we haven’t enjoyed sex much due to lack of knowledge about it. My husband tries fingering me but I don’t get pleasure out of it. We try to have intercourse but fail. I think my hymen is very tight. I wanted to get pregnant but I have not been able to conceive yet. Can you suggest some ways for us to enjoy our sex life to the fullest? What are the different positions that we can try? I eat a lot of chocolates. Can chocolates be one of the reasons that is leading to a tighter hymen and less chances of pregnancy?Since both of you are ignorant about sex it would help a lot if you took marriage counselling for sex. In the meantime apply a lubricant on his finger and try to insert it deep into the vagina to break the hymen. It will make him familiar with the vagina and help him to direct his penis better during the intercourse. To conceive, have sex three-four times a week. Try putting your legs over his shoulders so that the penis and vagina are very close together in contact. Chocolates will make you put on weight. It has got nothing to do with the hymen.

Ideally, how much time should a man take to ejaculate when he inserts his penis into the vagina?It depends on the man and how he can control his excitement. The world average is two-seven minutes. The skill to satisfy your partner is more important.

I am a 22-year-old married woman. I and my husband live a happy life. However, these days he is not satisfied with me and complains that my vagina has become loose. He is not getting pleasure during intercourse. Could you please suggest some cream or medicine which will make my vagina firm like before?Try Kegel. Also try the following exercise while passing urine. Stop the flow of urine and count till three and let it flow again. Repeat it five times. Do this exercise five-six times a day and it will help you in tightening the ‘PC’ muscle which surrounds the vagina. Once you have learned the exercise, you can contract and relax the muscle during intercourse.

I am a 29-year-old man. I got married a year and a half back. My wife and I do not feel aroused for sex every day. But we do have intercourse once or twice a week. We have not been able to conceive a child and are worried it may be due lack of an active sex life. Please advise.You can possibly increase the frequency of intercourse. Have it every alternate day starting from the eighth day of the menstrual period of your wife. Continue it throughout the month.

I got married a month ago. I am scared to have sex with my husband because I think I have a small vaginal opening and it will cause pain during intercourse. Please advise.Ask your husband to be gentler during intercourse. There is nothing to be scared about. The vagina is highly elastic and can open wide enough even for a baby to pass during delivery. Apply little amount of ‘Xylocaine Gel 2%’ in and around the opening of the vagina. Wait for 15 minutes and wipe it off when it has fully lubricated the vagina. After this you will not experience pain.

I am 28 years old and delivered a baby through a C-section five months ago. Till date I haven’t resumed my period and I still breastfeed my baby. Last night, I had intercourse with my husband without any protection. Are there any chances of pregnancy?It’s rare. Check with a urine home pregnancy kit for pregnancy. If you are breast feeding throughout the day, until your periods don’t resume you can’t get pregnant. This usually takes about six months.